Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Importance of Cupcakes

The always entertaining Corby Kummer has another hunger inducing piece in the new issue of The Atlantic about cupcakes and the ongoing popularity of these frosted mini-cakes. He also laments how hard it is to get a really good cupcake....

"C
loyingly cute cupcake shops may seem passé in New York, but they continue to thrive there, and new ones seem to open across the land by the month. Silly and disappointing as most of these shops are, the craze is worth keeping—if only, like the audiences at La Scala, to keep applauding till the performers do better."

His piece is not only worth salivating over, but also educational. Did you know "...a Hostess cupcake has 180 calories. A blueberry muffin at a typical Starbucks has 360...." His main problem is with the two seemingly simple parts of these adorable desserts that turn adults into kids again, the cake and the frosting. Click the link above to read the piece, and be sure to watch the video for a visual representation of what every cupcake should be. Meanwhile, I'm on my way to hit my favorite Portland cupcake purveyor, Saint Cupcake...........


cupcake pic from The Atlantic
##### ##### #####
one year ago today @ E.D.T.: take a few minutes to let the real world, in this piece on Afghanistan, intrude on your food dreaming. I wouldn't bring it up if it wasn't important!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me how much I miss The Atlantic when I'm traveling through Southeast Asia for months on end. I look forward to my own living room, my own couch, a glass of red wine and a stack of magazines.

bb said...

karen....I know. whenever I travel for long things like that are another touchstone. But just so you know, I am having a glass of red wine for you right now. Doesn't that make you fell better? No?? hmmm......

On another note, I saw your mention of Andy Ricker in one of your posts, and he just opened his new spot Ping here in Portland. I haven't been yet, but hopefully soon. He's so good at capturing those flavors and spirit!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Cupcake Jones? Oh my! Red Velvet...

bb said...

hanna....I have. they make a pretty kick ass cupcake, but I still go for Saint Cupcake. Although I'm happy with either, of course!