Thursday, November 27, 2008

Green Chicken Masala: does deliciousness get any easier?

What else would I talk about on Thanksgiving Day, that most American of holidays, but an absolutely delicious Indian dish, Green Chicken Masala, that w and I threw down the other night. It is also yet another reason I have piles of old food magazines laying by my side of the bed. w gave me the "honey, your magazines are kind of scattered around the floor there" which really means pick your shit up. So with my selfish need to satisfy my constant hunger cleverly disguised as an interest of preserving marital harmony I have been ripping and tearing out recipes, which is what led to this most delicious of dinners out of a recent Food and Wine rag. Every country has it's version of chicken and green chili sauce...except the U.S. of course with our distinct lack of indigenous cuisine... pollo verde probably the most familiar to our domesticated palates. This is the subcontinents answer...or perhaps precursor. The cilantro-mint-chili sauce alone (in the unretouched, über-green photo at top) just explodes with intense aromas out of the blender and is vibrantly beautiful to look at. This comes together so easily, and is a REALLY fabulous, complex tasting plate of food, that you need to spring on those you love!
The finished product, that despite its somewhat somewhat regurgitated baby food look, is simply awesome!
*** *** *** *** ***
Green Chicken Masala
from Food and Wine Magazine

ingredients:
2 cups cilantro leaves
1 cup mint leaves
1 jalapeño, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, finely chopped
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (1 3/4 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Kosher salt
Basmati rice, for serving
directions:
1. In a blender, combine the cilantro, mint, jalapeño, garlic, lemon juice and water and puree until smooth.

sautéing the onions, chicken, and turmeric











stirring the sauce just after adding the cilantro-mint-chili and coconut milk combo


2. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and turmeric and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden in spots, about 7 minutes. Add the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and cook for 1 minute. Add the cilantro puree and coconut milk, season with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is slightly reduced and the chicken is tender, about 15 minutes. Serve with basmati rice.
##### ##### #####
one year ago today at E.D.T.: my favorite movie of 2007 plus I give you the best damn meatloaf ever!

6 comments:

peter said...

I love that bright green. Mustard is still soldiering on in the garden, so I might adapt this to include some. Good winter food.

bb said...

peter....i know....one of natures great colors. It just LOOKS healthy!

Chloe Farrel said...

Loved the recipe! I love the step by step photos you have added. Great touch. Might use that for my recipe blog too once i add more to it

Rumela said...

The Green Chicken Masala dish looks good.yamm... I am sure it will taste as good as the picture.I an going to try the recipe in my next party.

bb said...

Rumela....I really think you (and your guests) will love it! It has so much good flavor. Enjoy!!

kitchen table said...

I love the green color of the dish! This is something I can't imagine I would like. This is something I want to try.