Monday, November 23, 2009

appetizing Avocado Hummus!

Isn't hummus getting a little bit played as an appetizer? I mean I like it as much as the next person, that creamy garlicky bite is actually pretty damn delicious. And if you need something a hurry, it is about the easiest starter to whip up. Maybe five minutes and you're done. But still, you can only pull it out so often. So when I read this recipe (and for the life of me I have zero idea where I first saw it, so if someone is not getting the credit they deserve, please accept my apology) it immediately grabbed my attention. First, all the elements of hummus...lemon juice, tahini, and garlic, plus the sensual delight that is contained within the leathery skinned avocado. This has to be good. So the other night when we had friends over I finally got around to making it and it absolutely rocked! Besides salivating all over it, everyone was like "I know this is like hummus, but what exactly is it?" See, the avocado doesn't immediately leap out at you. Instead in kind of sneaks up on your palate. Like stealth hummus and to everyone there every bit as good as the garbanzo bean classic, if not better. Plus as it should be, stupidly easy. When you make this just set it out and watch the reactions. Don't worry, they'll all be positive!
*** *** *** *** ***
Avocado Hummus
adapted from "Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean" by Ana Sortun

6 servings

ingredients:
Flesh of 2 ripe avocados
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped (about 2+ teaspoons)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Juice from 1 large lemon, (about 3 tablespoons)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt

method:
Combine the avocado, tahini, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, oil and salt to taste in a food processor or blender; process for about 1 minute, or until the mixture is as smooth as sour cream.

Transfer to a container. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic lays directly on the surface of the hummus (to keep it from discoloring). Refrigerate until ready to serve; taste and adjust seasoning as needed before serving.

2 comments:

Zupan's Markets said...

This looks so fantastic! I might make this for a holiday dinner party coming up.

bb said...

Zup....It has rocked it both times I've made it. One of those things that seems to get much group love. Would love to know how your crowd responds!