Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Simple cooking: Thai Green Curry Shrimp

I'm not saying that cooking is simple. I mean, simple is doing your multiplication tables, frying an egg, or taking out three pirates in a bobbing boat in the ocean at dusk. There was a time before I got the cooking bug when I would go to some Thai joint and absolutely marvel at the flavors and wonder how they jammed so much complexity into the bowl. It seemed almost magical, and something I couldn't ever imagine doing myself. That is one of the things I love most about exploring cooking....learning that some of the most interesting, deliciously full flavors come from the simplest of ingredients and quickest cooking methods. Last night was yet another classic example. w and I were both in the mood for something light after a(nother) weekend of overindulgence. I was at work with no idea what to make, and started checking out epicurious, inserting different search terms looking for inspiration. Shrimp was sounding good, curry always makes us happy, and suddenly, thanks to the scientific genius that is Al Gore's invention of the internet, this popped up on my screen. Simple? Check out that ingredient list. Fast? Put your rice on and by the time it is done you will have completed your prep and have this steaming bowl of Thai goodness in front of you. Is cooking simple? Apparently so!
*** *** *** *** ***
Thai Green Curry Shrimp
adapted from epicurious/Bon Appetit
yield: Makes 6-8 servings

ingredients:
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 cup chopped green onions (about 8 small)
1 to 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste*
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk*
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)*
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup diced plum tomatoes
2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined (I used 25-30 count shrimp-bb)
salt
Chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

method:
Heat peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion; stir-fry until soft and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add green onions and curry paste; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and sugar; bring to boil. Add tomatoes and boil 2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just until opaque in center, stirring often, about 3 to 5 minutes depending on size of shrimp. Add salt to taste. Transfer curry to large shallow bowl. Garnish with cilantro. Serve, passing lime wedges separately.
Note: the lime wedges are essential to really make the flavors pop. Make sure you squeeze in a healthy amount in your bowls!-bb

10 comments:

Bill said...

I did a red curry like this recently, but for fun I cooked it on the charcoal grill in my paella pan. Holy smokey goodness...

bb said...

Bill...Wow! Nice touch with the charcoal grill. That just went on the to-eat list. Thanks for your inspiring comment!

Anonymous said...

Cool, we love thai food. Nice blog btw =P

Kathleen Bauer said...

And great shot, btw...was this with the "home studio"? It absolutely glows!

And yes, we'll be making it, too!

bb said...

thanks for the compliment, tasty. hope you get to make this soon, too!

kab....it was taken using my "home studio" (ha!) light. It works amazingly well.

test it comm said...

This is one of my favorites! So simple and so good!

Mrs. L said...

It sounds like a great dish, simple too. I'll have to give it a try.

bb said...

kevin...isn't that the greatest thing about these recipes?!

mrs l....let me know how you like it. I can almost promise rave reviews. Enjoy!

john staggs said...

I could live on this stuff if the ingredients were all that was left in the world.... I never get tired of Green Curry Shrimp.. I like how it taste sweet at first and then the heat comes in and your sinuses drain out....

narrow kitchen table said...

Great shot! Nice touch with the charcoal grill. I'll have to give it a try.