Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thai Fish Curry: healthy food for a growing family!

Tired of looking at that piece of fried chicken from the previous post that has been staring at you for the past week and a half? Me too, so it's time to get off the blogging slacker seat and get some fresh material up here. I mean it's not like I've been going hungry the last few weeks. With plenty of deliciousness backed up in the blogging pipeline, I'll start off with this excellent bit of Thai-ishness that w and I had last night. We've been hitting the heavy food thing pretty hard right now, and with w carrying the next generation eating obsessive inside her ever expanding belly, something lighter for us and brain-healthy for the young 'un seemed in order. I was in the mood for something easy and flavorful, and since Thai curry always satisfies those needs, I jumped on the epicurious app on my iPhone (have I ever mentioned how much I love this app? Oh, yeah, I did here) to see what they might come up with. The first hit back was this Thai Fish Curry that was printed in Bon Appetit in 1992 (1992?? I am constantly amazed at the internet!). After reading the recipe and the comments, I did a little adapting, took a very few minutes to throw it together, and out came two very attractive and palate satisfying platefuls of southeast Asian flavors. It really is ridiculously easy, and the incredibly aromatic dry rub (pic at right) you process will leave you enough for another go, maybe with some chicken or shrimp subbed in for the halibut.
*** *** *** *** ***
Thai Fish Curry
adapted from epicurious/Bon Appetit
yield: Serves 2

ingredients:
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro stems
2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass (from bottom 6 inches of stalk)
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 large garlic cloves, halved
3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1-1/4 pound 1 1/2-inch-thick halibut fillets, cut into 3-inch pieces
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
2/3 cup bottled clam juice
Minced fresh cilantro

method:
1-Blend first 9 ingredients in processor to dry paste, stopping frequently to scrape down sides of work bowl. (Paste can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.)

2-Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 rounded tablespoons spice paste; stir 1 minute. Add fish and cook 2 minutes, turning occasionally with tongs. Add coconut milk and clam juice and simmer until fish is cooked through, turning occasionally, about 4-6 minutes depending on thickness of fillets. Transfer fish to plate. Boil liquid until reduced to thick sauce, about 8 minutes. Season with salt. Return fish to sauce and heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over rice.

11 comments:

Shady Character said...

Oh, man that looks so good! I swear I will not pass up the opportunity to buy fresh lemongrass at the Farmer's Market this week like i did last time.

bb said...

SC....I passed up lemongrass at the farmer's market and got totally hosed by Whole Foods for a tiny pack of it for $5. I learned my lesson, too. And even with the excessive grass charge, this still rocked!

Anonymous said...

What great news! Congratulations to you and W! When's the next gen gourmet/foodie arriving? :-)

Lika

bb said...

Thank you Lika....that's so nice of you! Our lives are changing completely sometime in early February. Hopefully the new palate in the family will be an adventurous one!

Anonymous said...

bb, I can already sense the awesomeness! All great people are born in February :-P ( including moi)

Lika

Becky said...

Congrats! My offspring are quite adventurous, food-wise. Yours' will be too!

bb said...

anaon...we're hoping for the best from our Feb. baby. If he's a pest, I'm blaming you!!

becky....thanks for that! he'd better be or I'm wasting a shitpile of money on foie gras training!!

Term Papers said...

While I was on holiday in London, I tried a range of ethnic foods from Argentinian Beef to Moroccan food.

Sunburn Treatment said...

the portions look small. are they filling?

lord baltimore hotel said...

WOW - I am in LOVE with these! i like it. Thanks a lot for sharing all these information.

carriepo said...

I'm cooking this heavenly concoction as I type...I'm simmering! I agree my husband, myself, and my daughter are all feb babies! Your epicurean offspring will be just fine...both my children (7,8) eat all types of food and my son prefers Asian cuisine. We eat pho every Saturday morning or he will begin to convulse-HA! Just a few more minutes and we will be indulging in this wonderfully aromatic dish....I never thought I could do it; thanks so much for sharing! Blessings to you and yours!