Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Falafel Fanaticism!

I haven't had it this good since Paris! And I had it about five miutes from my house!! What else would I be talking about except the greatest falafel in this city....maybe in any city!!! The fresh, crunchy, spicy, and savory deliciousness that is Fat Kitty Falafel, made by the very not-shy and retiring Al Herre. I had been told of the goodness that comes flinging out of his cart on SE 21st and Division by my friend Greg Z. This was several months ago, and usually when I hear about something good to eat, I am on it fast. My main problem is I'm off Sunday and Monday, and so is Fat Kitty Al. But yesterday the wine shack was undergoing some floor repair, so I had an unexpected day off, and I was driving up Division to get my luxurious mane of hair whacked at Rudy's, and drove by Al's shack. Eureka! A quick u-turn and five bucks later I am digging in to greatness. Al scoops out the falafel batter fresh, dumps it in his mini-fryer, and tops this little wrap with fresh lettuce, and, as I had it, some cilantro-garlic tahini that rocked.

Al (holding that Lebanese mag) and his staff photographer



You give Al an inch of breathing room and he's off and verbalizing, and he was immediately shoving this middle eastern magazine in my face that had a feature on Fat Kitty! How that happened I still don't know, but if some Lebanese rag is giving you props, then you've gotta have a pretty good thing going on. Anyway, if you're cruising around and feel the need for some falafelness, make Fat Kitty your next stop!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you mean "retiring" as a verb or adjective? he's not going away, is he?!

bb said...

Oh no...he's here to stay...or he'd better be since I just discovered the goodness to be had!

Devon said...

Al Rocks.....