Thursday, July 26, 2007

Getting My Fix!

It could be worse. I could be driving around with shaking hands, bloodshot eyes, and sweat drenched wife-beater in my old Chevy with one fender painted the appropriate primer grey, looking for my next meth hookup. I could be glued to my computer, staring bug-eyed, hyperventilating, and shouting obscenities at the screen as yet another gambling site sucks my house payment into the pocket of some guy who lives in the Bahamas.

It could any of those things. But it isn't. My little addiction is something much more insidious and sneaky, nibbling away at my wallet with every $1.50-$3.00 fix that brings a sense of calm and serenity to my world. It happens more often than I care to admit. I could be driving around, totally minding my own business, when the "trigger" catches my eye. Those three words that get me salivating and swerving across lanes crowded with traffic, cursing the old woman in front of me who's keeping me away from my salvation. Those three words, "hecho a mano", signaling yet another unavoidable stop at yet another taqueria truck. Like I said, it could be worse.
My current favorite Portland infatuation are the deliciously savory tacos at Taqueria Lindo Michoacan, a truck parked in the lot at SE 34th and SE Division. At a mere $1.50 a pop, the way too delicious discs layered with carnitas or pastor, among other fleshy offerings, that come out of the window are among the best bargain bites to had in this town, and there's probably an equally satisfying bite to be had in your town, too. The tortillas they make on site are perfectly chewy and soft (if those two words together make sense, and if you're taco stand fiend like me, you know what I'm saying). Always generously topped with your choice of meat, including a very credible asada or chorizo, a toss of cilantro and onion, add a squirt of fresh lime...I seem to be able to eat an endless amount. If for no other reason than the proliferation of these vendors of Mexican culinary authenticity, I am wholly for keeping those borders open wide, because at this point in my food-obsessed life, I've gotta get my fix!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get the runs? Thats always the best feeling..when you KNOW that you got the real experience.P.S. I was just joking.. I lived in D.F. for a few years.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I too have a taco truck problem. But I guess it's a pretty good problem to have.

bb said...

C- Never...my strong constitution keeps me going!

sean- if you can admit it, it's not a problem!

Kathe W. said...

man o man-I am salivating already....we're taco junkies too...