Friday, March 13, 2009

"Oh, how I love duck confit."

Those words in the title, written by Michael Ruhlman on his blog, totally echo my own sentiments. I eat it just about every time I see it on a menu, but have never made it at home. I'm one of those who are somewhat daunted by the, as he writes, "quarts of duck fat to poach it in". But then to my astonishment, my utter delight, my soon-to-be-satisfied craving, he follows that up with "But I’m here to say, olive oil is just as good." OLIVE OIL? The stuff I have by the gallon at home? And then...AND THEN....he follows it up with about the simplest to follow recipe to make your own duck confit at home. OMFG!! Memo to my next dinner party invitees: you get one guess as to what we might be having!

photo from flickr

4 comments:

Kathleen Bauer said...

(A hand slowly rises from NE..)

We're available any time!

dp said...

I did confit using the recipe in Charcuterie as a guide and it's good. Once with all duck fat, once with duck fat and lard and the last time with just lard. I wondering though if the olive oil will be too strong of a taste. I guess I'll just have to try and see for myself :-)

bb said...

kab....I promise you won't have to wait long!

dp....I just pulled two legs out of the oven where they've been all day poaching in oil. I'll be posting results soon. I have high hopes....as always!

dp said...

Oh, please do! I'm interested to hear how it tastes. Maybe if it's too strong a half/half dilution with another oil can take care of that.