Friday, February 15, 2008

Warning: Addictive Behavior May Follow!

Before you read further, a disclaimer: "Eat.Drink.Think. will not be responsible for any addictive behavior, odd cravings at inopportune moments, over-consumption, martini madness, or reckless spending of money that may result from the following."

Okay, are we clear? Then I guess it's okay to tell you about what have become known around our parts as "crack olives" due to our complete inability to stop eating them once we open a can. "Them" refers to these wonderfully flavorful ovoids commonly called Novia del Sol Anchovy Stuffed Olives. I discovered them while ordering from our local specialty food wholesalers Provvista Foods, and it seems that our crowd can't get enough. Spanish green olives that I'm sure are lovingly stuffed by hand (it must be by hand, right? A machine couldn't possibly give this much food love.) with a ground anchovy concoction, not too strong, that are the perfect pre-dinner nibble with some manchego cheese and a cocktail or three. A speaking of cocktails, these are PERFECT martini olive. Three of these gems lanced by a pick and soaked in gin for a few minutes....ahhhh....just thinking about it makes me want to start shaking up a batch.

Locally here in Portland you can get these all too addictive tidbits at Pastaworks. For the rest of you, all I can say is your next martini deserves these. If you truly can't find them, let me know and I'll ship some off to you!
UPDATE 2/15/2009: Should you need to get them, and you DO need to get them, I now carry these delights at VINO. just give me a call or email (vinobuys@qwest.net)

No comments: