Thursday, August 14, 2008

23Hoyt update: The ever revolving door....

Wouldn't you know it. Just when I pimp Chris Israel and 23Hoyt in yesterday's post, I get a press release this morning saying he is leaving to pursue other opportunities. He is going to be replaced at 23Hoyt by former Olea chef Aaron Barnett. Hopefully the quality will remain high at 23, because that meal I had really nailed it. Wait and see I guess.

In the meantime, in today's post on Portland Food and Drink, according to PFD czar Food Dude: "I read somewhere that Chris wanted to open a German restaurant. Please Chris, do it. I'll be the first one in the door."

Now FD, you know I dig your act and your ever informative takes, but I can only say "A German restaurant??! I don't care how good a German restaurant is, and I might even try it, but I (and I assume most Portlanders) only need so much schnitzel, and it ain't much. Chris, I know it's a challenge, and you may even be passionate about it, but dude, please, I'm begging you, back away from the sauerbraten. Aim higher. That sounds like the classic 'how do you take big pile of money and turn it into a little pile of money' "

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cutting edge food that is being cooked in Germany is really good. Yes, much German food tends to be heavy, but hey, so are our winters. Besides, what else could he do that we don't already have a million versions of?

bb said...

Well put FD! My snarky commentary aside, I have to say that my experience with German cuisine is limited to Der Rheinlander and imagining what Colonel Klink ate in his office at Stalag 13, and if it isn't what I think it is I'm all for it. I can only assume Chris would do it very well. But again, how many times will people seek it out? That would be my concern. Hey maybe he could do another rustic pizza spot? Or I know, we could REALLY use another small plates/tapas bar couldn't we? Or not.............

Suzanne said...

Hey BB,
Don't forget that Alsace-Lorraine is as much German as French (in food tradition). Not to mention some of the fantastic dishes sneaking onto the menu at my fave restaurant Castagna are inspired from the Austro-German-Swiss tradition that the chef learned in his early career cooking in Europe.
-former barmistress, present fan of Castagna

bb said...

Suzanne....thanks for clarifying and the lesson on Euro border food sharing. Give me some kick ass choucroute any day....like they make at Castagna!